Saturday, August 23, 2014

A Vacation from our Vacation - Boston to Florida

August 9th – 23rd, 2014 - Days 71 to 88

Readers, please note:  This particular post tells of our trip to Boston to see our new grandchildren, then back home to Florida to check on things and open a whole lot of mail.  It is not particularly interesting, but wanted to journalize it for our own memories. 

Oh, she's growing up so fast!


We were picked up at Logan International airport in Boston by our wonderful son-in-law, where both Norm and I spent the night.

 The next day I was brought to the car rental agency to rent a car for my use.

 That afternoon I drove Norm an hour north to Manchester NH  ( where we will fly out of back to Florida on the weekend ) to get him a car to enable him to drive 3 hours to Connecticut so he could work for the next four days.






Oh, Nanny loves her grand daughter!
 I returned to my daughter’s house and spent the next 5 days loving every minute with my absolutely adorable granddaughter, who is now 9 months old.  Oh, how she has changed in the last 3 months!
I had a fabulous visit with my daughter and her husband.

On Thursday, I met Norm at his daughter’s home and met his grandson for the first time!  Owen, at two months of age, is such a strong little guy!  He has a death grip with his hand, and very strong little legs!  He will be quite the athlete - like his parents!

The proud grandfather! 
Saturday we drove back to my daughter’s and babysat so she and her husband Mike, could take a motorcycle ride out to Mt. Greylock in western Massachusetts, where they got married one year ago.

They had a chance for a romantic anniversary, and Norm and I got 24 hours to spoil little Elena!  Or perhaps she spoiled us!  I have never seen such a good child!  She never cries, and will play in her crib until she falls asleep, and when she wakes up- plays some more! I have never seen a child do that – at least mine never did!

Laura and Mike met through motorcycling, so taking off for an overnight
on their bikes for their anniversary was perfect!
Sunday we headed to Florida where my other daughter, Jen, was waiting for us at our house.  We only had less than 24 hours to visit, but it was great to see her as well.

After a world-wind week of entertaining, having dinner at Norm’s sister Bernie’s, meeting with a half dozen contractors who should have, but didn't, take care of the house, we left to return to Salt Lake City only 6 days later.  Boy, we need a vacation!

August 23rd -Back to Salt Lake

We arrived after midnight, and Norm ( as always ) was able to instantly fall asleep. I, on the other hand tossed and turned until well after 2AM.  After having breakfast out ( the first of our trip ) we went back to the campground to get our RV out of storage.

We had completely cleaned out and defrosted the refrigerator, so we had no food.  Freezer was bare, refrigerator empty.  Time to do some serious shopping!  The trouble was, it would take 24-36 hours for the refrigerator to get cold enough to chill a large amount of food.  At home, I would have everything pre-chilled or already frozen before adding, but that was impossible here.


Norm and I did the Walmart run, and put off buying anything that needed to be refrigerated.( I was so surprised at how many Organic products they carry at Walmart!  I have not shopped at one in a while so I don't know if it is unique to Salt Lake, or if they have decided to capture more of that market share.) Since we still didn't have much dinner provisions, we had a great excuse to have a lovely dinner out.


On Monday we brought the RV to the automotive glass company to have the RV windshield replaced.  We proceeded to spend most of the day running back and forth from Costco and Wholefoods, and back to the RV to put the perishables in the fridge.

After 6PM, when the windshield sealant was guaranteed to be set, we drove back to the campground, set up, cooked dinner and fell into bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment